bookassist accommodation hotel reservations booking maps | transport | accommodation | culture | shopping | eating | pubs | entertainment | trips | info | £-$
attractions Softguide Dublin

  13 items listed:

Christ Church Cathedral free map
Christ Church Place, Dublin 8.  (Map l49o51 - L50)
Phone: 6778099   Fax: 6798991  
Email:   Web:  
Opening hours: 10.00 - 17.30  
How to get there: On foot: from Trinity College, continue up Dame Street, passing Dublin Castle on the left, and at the top of the hill, you'll see the Cathedral on the right.
By bus: 78A from Aston Quay, 50 from Eden Quay.  

Not to be missed.
This is Dublin's oldest building, founded in 1038 by King Sitric of Dublin, then rebuilt in stone in 1169 by Strongbow, Earl of Permbroke, and restored in Gothic style in 1871. There is a crypt dating from 1172, and both buildings contain remarkable monuments, sculptures and other objects from over the centuries, including the embalmed heart of the Archbishop of Dublin (1180), punishment stocks, and a tomb oak carving from 1584.

Across the road is Dublinia, an exhibition of Dublin's medieval history, and a few minutes walk away is The Viking Centre which has an extensive collection of Viking artifacts excavated from this area.


Dublin Castle map
Dame Street, Dublin 2.  (Map l49o51 - M50)
Phone: 6777129   Fax: 6797831  

Opening hours: Mon - Fri 10.00 - 17.00, Sat, sun & Bank Hols 14.00 - 17.00.  
How to get there: On foot: on the edge of Temple Bar, Dublin Castle is halfway between Trinity College and Christ Church.  

Although there's an admission fee of £3.00 (convession £2.00, child £1.00), you can usually avoid payment if you just want to walk through the courtyards and have a look at the buildings.
The ‘Undercroft' is part of the original Viking fortress, and the ‘Record Tower' is part of the later 13th century Norman Castle. Dublin Castle has a long history as the seat of English rule in Ireland for seven centuries, and if you do pay the admission, you can visit the 19th century Chapel Royal and the State Apartments, now used for State functions.
The Chester Beatty library, with its superb collection of 22,000 manuscripts from cultures all over the world, has moved to a purpose-built gallery, in the Clock Tower building.
Facilities: restaurant, heritage centre, craft shop.


Trinity College Dublin review map
University of Dublin, Trinity College, Dublin 2.  (Map p49s51 - P49)
Phone: 6082320   Fax: 6719003  

Opening hours: Book of Kells : Mon - Sat 9.30 - 17.00, Sun (June - Sept) 9.30 - 16.30, Sun (Oct - May) 12.00 - 16.30; closed over Christmas / New Year.
Dublin Experience: 10.00 - 17.00 7 days (24th May - 30th Sept.)  
How to get there: Any bus to the City centre. Nearest DART station: Pearse Street.  

Not to be missed.

Admission fee, under-12 free.
There are French, German and Italian transalations. There are combined Book of Kells / Dublin Experience tickets; also group rates.


Dvblinia map
Christ Church, Dublin 8.  (Map l49o51 - K50)
Phone: 6794611   Fax: 6797116  

Opening hours: 10.00 - 17.00 daily (April - Sept). Winter: Mon - Sat 11.00 - 16.00, Sun & Bank Hols 10.00 - 16.30. Closed 24 - 26 Dec.   
How to get there: Across the road from Christ Church cathedral. By Bus: 50 from Eden Quay, 78A from Aston Quay.  

A medieval heritage centre which uses life-size reconstructions to bring history to life, and includes many artefacts from the nearby Viking excavations. You can climb the 17th century Tower for a view of Dublin, check out the punishment stocks and suits of armour, and cross the gothic style pedestrian bridge to Christ Church cathedral.
Facilities: audio in 5 languages.
Admission fee, pre-booking required for groups.


Temple Bar
Dublin 2. 

Until a few years ago, Temple Bar was known more for its derelict buildings and badly-lit streets, but with the recent transformation (still in progress) it's now become Dublin's Cultural Quarter.
There are several new cultural centres, all within a few minutes stroll of each other, many housed in new buildings of unique architectural design. New squares and re-built streets are full of cafes, restaurants and pubs; and on Saturdays, there's the Book Fair and the Food Market. Several music events take place in and around Temple Bar throughout the year, and in the summer there are extra events, including outdoor film screenings and children's entertainments.

For details on current events, contact the Temple Bar Culture Line at 6715717.


Dublin's Viking Adventure map
Essex Street West, off Fishamble St., Temple Bar, Dublin 8.  (Map l49o51 - L49)
Phone: 6796040   Fax: 6796033  

Opening hours: Tues - Sat 10.00 - 16.30. Closed Sun - Mon, closed 13.00-14.00 Nov - Feb.  
How to get there: On foot: the west end of Temple Bar, beside the Civic Offices. Nearest DART station: Pearse Street.   

The area around the west end of Temple Bar has been extensively excavated, and the large collection of artefacts recovered from the excavations are now housed in this Viking Adventure centre, which interactively recreates life in the narrow streets of Viking ‘Dyflin' 1000 years ago

Admission fee, reductions for families and groups over 20.
Facilities: Craft shop, banqueting facilities, car park


St. Patrick's Cathedral review map
Patrick's Close, Dublin 8.  (Map l52o54 - L52)
Phone: 4754817   Fax: 4546374  
Email: admin<   Web:  
Opening hours: Mon - Fri 9.00 - 18.00, Sat 9.00 - 17.00 (closes 16.00 Nov - Feb). Sun : Apr - Sept 9.30 - 11.00, 12.45 - 15.00, 16.15 - 17.00; Sun : Oct - Mar: 10 - 11.00, 12.45 - 15.00.  
How to get there: By bus: 50, 54A, 56A, 49, 49A, 65, 65A, 77, 77A from Eden Quay.  

Ireland's largest Church, built in 1171, on the oldest Christian site in Dublin (St. Patrick is said to have baptised converts here), and also the first University in Ireland (from 1320).
Don't miss: the West Tower houses the largest ringing peal of bells in Ireland, and the church organ is the most powerful organ in the country.

Admission fee


The Chimney at Smithfield map
Smithfield Village, Dublin 7.  (Map h46k48 - I47)
Phone: 8173800   Fax: 8173801  

Opening hours: Open daily, except Christmas Day.  
How to get there: On foot: 20 minutes walk from Temple Bar, west along the Liffey quays.
By bus: 25 or 67 from Middle Abbey Street to Merchants Quay. 68, 69 or 70 from Aston Quay to Merchants Quay.  

Located in Dublin's newest restoration project at Smithfield Village, the 220ft. Chimney was recently restored and equipped with a glass observation tower. Great views on a clear day.
The Chimney is next to the Jameson Distillery, and close to The National Museum at Collins Barracks which is linked to the other National Museums at Kildare Street by the Museum Link bus.


Newman House map
85 - 86 St. Stephen's Green, Dublin 2.  (Map l52o54 - O53)
Phone: 7067422   Fax: 7067211  

Opening hours: June - August: Tues - Fri 10.00 - 17.00, Sat 14.00 - 17.00, Sun 11.00 - 14.00  
How to get there: On foot: 5 minutes walk from Grafton Street, on the south side of the Green. Nearest DART station: Pearse Street.  

Comprised of 2 houses, 85 -86 has recently been restored and is now considered one of the best examples of Georgian architecture and design. Cardinal Newman founded a Catholic University here in 1850, and James Joyce was a student here.
Don't miss: the marvellous plasterwork by the Lafranchini brothers, and by Robert West.

Admission fee includes a guided tour. Groups should book in advance.

Next door is the University Church, with byzantine interior and Irish marble pulpit. A 10-minute walk away is Number Twenty Nine, at 29 Lr. Fitzwilliam Street, a restored house representing a typical home of the late 19th century.


Number Twenty Nine map
29 Lr. Fitzwilliam St., Dublin 2.  (Map p52s54 - S53)
Phone: 7026165   Fax: 7027796  

Opening hours: Tues - Sat 10.00 - 17.00, Sun 14.00 - 17.00, Closed Mon, 2 weeks over Christmas.  
How to get there: 10 minutes from National Gallery / National Museum. Nearest DART: Pearse St.
By bus: 7, 8, 10, 45 from Trinity College/Nassau St.  

Restored house of the late 18th century, including examples of Irish craftwork of the period.
Admission fee, child free.
Facilities: tea room, gift shop.


Custom House Visitor centre map
Custom House Quay, Dublin 1.  (Map p46s48 - R47)
Phone: 8787660   Fax: 8788013  

Opening hours: mid-Mar - Nov.: Mon - Fri 10.00 - 17.00, Sat-Sun 14.00 - 17.00.
Nov - mid-Mar.: Wed - Fri 10.00 - 17.00, Sun 14.00 - 17.00.  
How to get there: 5 minute walk from O'Connell bridge. Nearest DART: Tara Street/Connolly  

One of Dublin's finest buildings, built 1781 - 1791 by James Gandon, it runs along the Liffey for 114 metres. It was gutted in the 1921 independence struggle and subsequently restored.
Admission fee, also group rates.


National Wax Museum
Granby Row, Parnell Square, Dublin 1. 
Phone: 8726340  

Opening hours: Mon - Sat 10.00 - 17.30, Sun 12.00 - 17.30  
How to get there: Walk to the north end of O'Connell Street, then cross Parnell Square.
By bus: 11, 13, 16, 22, 22A from Westmoreland St.  

Life-size and life-like figures of famous Irish leaders, politicians, writers and musicians; includes a Children's World of Fairytale and Fantasy, Chamber of Horrors and Hall of Megastars.
Admission fee


Bank of Ireland Arts Centre map
2 Foster Place, Dublin 2.  (Map l49o51 - O49)
Phone: 671488   Fax: 6707556  

Opening hours: Tues - Fri 10.00 - 16.00  
How to get there: Next door to the Bank of Ireland on College Green, opposite Trinity College.  

‘Story of Banking' : history of Bank of Ireland and Irish banking.
Admission fee, pre-booked tours of 5+ are free.

The main Bank of Ireland building housed the Irish Parliament until 1800: you can visit the Irish House of Lords chamber for free. There are guided tours on Tuesdays (10.30, 11.30, 13.45) only.


dublin | maps | transport | accommodation | culture | shopping | restaurants | pubs | entertainment | information
legal information | acknowledgements | softguides | softguide ireland
accommodation booking and hotel reservations listings supplied by
softguides, bookassist services are trademarked & copyright automatic netware ltd. all rights reserved.